31 December 2018

Warbringer Nemesis #2 - All the Pieces!

So this is Part 2 of the Warbringer Nemesis project series.  Part 1 was when I actually received it (and the prequel was my fight with FedEx).  I did not flag Part 1 as such though, so this is a post titled Part 2 with no title companion in my archive.  I think we will all get over it.

During the Holiday week I set about for the first part of any Forgeworld project, namely inventory and inspection.  Forgeworld kits, especially the more recent ones, are remarkable for their level of detail and attention to construction (that part is just the recent ones, old Forgeworld kits have a more... complex relationship with construction in their design).  However, there are two caveats with that.

First, a Games Workshop plastic kit, indeed any plastic kit, comes on sprues.  So generally speaking, if you have the proper number of sprues (which in this hobby is usually an amount you can count on your fingers) then you have the correct parts.  Not so for a resin kit.  Pieces come on gates, which typically only hold a single piece, or a collection of small pieces.  On a fairly small kit, say, a space marine praetor, this does not materially change the build process.  On a big, complex kit like a Titan it means that before you dig into building you have to make sure all the parts are there.

Second, resin kits, even the best resin kits, are prone to miscasts and mold slippage.  At some level, repairing that is the responsibility of the hobbyist.  Anyone who gets into building resin kits has to accept that and be prepared to file down mold lines, fill in small bubbles on flat surfaces and even engage in some light rebuilding with "moderate" green stuff skills.  But some pieces will just be beyond the ability of any reasonable hobbyist to repair.  Sometimes the resin does not cure right, in a way that has a major effect on a part's structural integrity or its ability to take and hold paint and primer.  That kind of part needs to be replaced.  The same goes for parts that have serious mold slippage that causes highly detailed pieces to be marred in a way that only a very highly skilled epoxy sculptor could hope to fix.

Fortunately, most companies that make resin models will replace missing and miscast or broken pieces.  I mean, they had really better replace the missing ones, but I have always been pleased with the replacement of poorly cast pieces.  To my knowledge this does not apply to recasters, but I do not buy from them, so I do not really know.  Forgeworld has always been great about this for me.

With that all said, here are the pictures of my inventory:


There you can see the contents of the first box for the Warbringer's main body.  It is primarily composed of large pieces, and contains much the Titan's armor plating and the central pieces of the Titan's torso.  I took pictures of it in my Amazon light box, which works a lot better for something less spread out than all of this.  Here, it gets the job done.


The second box of the Warbringer Titan's main body.  This includes most of the lower body, the anti-aircraft guns, void shield generators and much of the smaller detail pieces of the Titan.  This box took a tremendous amount of time to lay out and inventory.  While inspecting this titan I took nearly 1500 pictures of its components.  I will, uh, not be displaying all of that here.

Two pieces were missing here, the hoses that connect parts of the back generator assembly.  I notified Forgeworld and they are dispatching replacements.  Supposedly this was a problem on all of the first run Warbringers.

The leg plates were also a problem here.  The right leg plates were totally fine, but the left plates were the wrong length and had the wrong kind of connectors on them.  They also had different part numbers on their gates, so I wonder if this too was a problem across the line.  Hopefully Forgeworld has the right parts to replace these with. 
 

 The Warbringer Titan's head.  A lot more manageable.  I think I had some curing issues on a few pieces here, so I dropped a note to Forgeworld.

 
The Nemesis Quake Cannon.  Man, this is a big gun.  Lots of solid resin in here.  I honestly think the whole thing was a good cast.  I do not recall having any parts issues.  Some minor mold slippage, especially on the ammo cylinder, but nothing that my line remover and some light green stuff will not fix.


Ye Olde (newly redesigned) Battle Titan Melta Cannon.  This boyo works for both the Warbringer and the Reaver Titan.  I only have a Warbringer of course, but I like the modular nature of the arm weapons.

Oh, for those wondering how this is different from the old Reaver Melta Cannon:  the back has been redesigned to take different hose attachments.  I originally thought that the heat dissipation cowling had been redesigned with molded in grommets for attaching a banner, but that is not the case.


The Battle Titan Gatling Blaster.  Similar to the Melta Cannon.  Also updates here are to the hose connections.  

And that, friends, is my whole inventory.  It is a lot of resin to put together and paint, but it is going to be a blast!

P.S. - Originally I was linking to these images from another location.  That worked very poorly.  Hopefully this works better and you actually see what is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment