23 December 2018

Adeptus Titanicus: Legio Fureans Warlord and Reaver - Superstructure Basecoat

So I took a hiatus on displaying my Legio Fureans Titans during my wonderful (sarc) FedEx adventures with my Warbringer Titan.  But now - let us continue!

After priming my Titans, I split painting into two sections, as is customary.

The first bit, I do not have many pictures of, but it is the Titan superstructure, as follows:

I did not prime the superstructure with any Stynylrez Grey, only the black.  Following that, I airbrushed the superstructures of both Titans, and some of their weapons, with Vallejo Mecha Color Gunmetal.  Then, to help my wash flow into recesses better, I sprayed all of the aforementioned pieces with Vallejo Mecha Color Gloss Varnish.

A quick word on Mecha Color Gloss Varnish: I love it.  I just cannot get enough of it.  I have struggled and struggled to find varnishes that work well.  I do not like brush on varnishes because I feel like they lay unevenly.  I do not like spray can varnishes because, as I explained in my earlier Adeptus Titanicus post, the region where I live rarely has weather that facilitates spraying anything outside.  Period.  It is always too humid or too cold.  Other airbrush varnishes are either weak or clog my airbrush so much that spraying is an exercise in frustration.

Oh, and I need a varnish because I have the ability to rub paint off of anything.  Seriously.  Varnish is my best friend.

I follow that with a wash of Nuln Oil.  I apply it all over with a big shade brush, trying to keep it from pooling, occasionally using a paper towel or cotton swab to aid me.  Then, after that is quite dry, I drybrush a layer of Necron Compound over the whole deal.

The superstructure is fairly easy.  The technique brings out details and adds some character to the "metal" parts of the model, but it is not a high level technique, and it lacks a certain amount of finesse.  If I was really trying to compete in a masterclass painting competition, I would not do it.  Fortunately for me, I am not.  It looks pretty good and saves a lot of time.

Well, that about does it for this blog entry.

I feel like every post should have a picture, and seeing as I did not log my superstructure painting, I will, once again, post a picture of my current progress on my Warlord Titan.



P.S. - I am sure you noticed that I link to Competition Minis a lot when I talk about paints.  I am not affiliated with Competition Minis, nor do I receive any sort of compensation for mentioning them here on this blog.  I simply tend to do all of my paint shopping there because they have a great selection and they are sort of local to me.  Use them, do not use them, up to you.  But I just recall from reading blogs myself that I often wonder what paints painters are using and on occasion even saying the paint name leaves ambiguity.  This way, there is none.


No comments:

Post a Comment