29 May 2019

Warbringer Nemesis #12 - Armor or Structure?

So yesterday I sort of intimated that that blog post would close out the upper torso.  I lied.


Because I neglected to talk about these.  See those two mechanical bits being held on by the clamps?  Behind the shoulders?

They actually went on pretty easy with JB Weld and some pinning for good measure.  If they were just superstructure through and through, we would not be talking about them much.  But these pieces are among the few-but-extant pieces in the Warbringer kit that are neither 100% superstructure nor 100% armor.  And that means I had a tough call to make about whether or not to leave them off for painting purposes.

The pieces themselves form the part of the Warbringer's hull that the Void Shield generators attach to.  On the underside they have standard issue mechanicus aesthetic gubbins.  On the top they are covered in the same kind of trimmed armor plating that makes up most of what your eye is drawn to on any Titan.  


I love being able to paint armor pieces separately on kits like this.  It makes painting the metal bits so much faster, and keeps me from cross-pollinating metal paints and not metal paints.  Which is important because the flecks in metal infect everything on my workstation.  Especially my brushes and rinse water.  

Now, the attachment points for these pieces are fine and if they were not hanging off the torso on a place I was very likely to grab I would have just left them off and glued the assembly together after painting.  But because they are pretty much the first thing I grab when handling the upper torso I opted to JB Weld them in place.  Then I pinned them for good measure. 


I am pretty sure that is a 1/8" pin. Drilled diagonally into the strut from the deck piece.  I covered this in green stuff afterwards, then sanded.

I would have much preferred if these were in two pieces with the armor plating separate from the mechanism.  

Actually, there are more pieces to these which I did leave off because I thought their connection was less fragile and because when glued they would make it hard to access some of the armor and trim here that will still be visible when the Titan is complete.


Those pieces.  I did glue the hoses in place.

Okay, well, that is almost the whole upper torso.  There are still the railings to talk about, but I did those much later.  So I will talk about them later.  They should be one of the last things you put together anyway because they are so fragile that once they are on the Torso you have to be careful how you handle it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment