15 March 2019

Warbringer Nemesis #8 - Standing on Its Own Two Feet

I originally tried a different name for this post.  But it sounded dirty, so I changed it to this.

So, at this point I have both legs completely built, so it is time to attach them to the waist.  This, for me, was when I really started to feel like I had a Titan on my hands, instead of just bits and promise.

Started off by placing the Warbringer's waist piece on my Dremel Drill Press.  I originally bought this to drill level, even holes in thick resin pieces, but it did not work so well for that because the pieces themselves are not flat.

It did, however, work great for holding that waist piece.  The place where the Dremel tool goes formed a perfect cup for the waist to sit in and I was able to adjust the height as I pleased.  The only downside was that I could not get the legs to sit flat on the press's own platform, so I had to swivel the head around where it was unbalanced.  I solved this issue by placing a nice heavy ziploc container I was using to de-grease some other resin pieces on top of the platform.  Balanced.  See my results below:


I smeared some JB Weld on the inner (larger) part of the waist tube assembly and then placed it on the inside of the waist's socket.

 

I carefully wedged a toothpick in there to make sure the piece set centered in the socket.  Say that five times fast.  Oh, and I probably used a level stick balanced on top of the waist to make sure it was level.  We will see a picture of that later.  

Hot tip:  Levels only work if the table you are working on is also level.  That did not bite me too badly, but it definitely altered my finished pose a bit.


This is what the assembly looked like while setting.


And after.  Oh, you probably noticed I did both sides.  Yep.


At this stage I pinned the assembly with 1/4" brass rod.  I drilled diagonally up through the tubing into the waist piece.

Also, why are these pieces styled like... what... tube insulated joints?  Same thing on Imperial Knights and I am never sure how to paint it.  Matte black like it is rubberized?  Steel like it is metal?  I honestly just lack a good sense of what the designers were going for here.  Ultimately you will barely be able to see it on the completed Warbringer, but I am still curious.


Next I glued the legs onto the assembly, making sure to distress them first for better adhesion.  Remember, we are doing this for every part we glue.


Also remember, for this stage you want to make sure that the leg rotation ring is on the waist assembly before you glue the legs in place.  The instructions remind you, but I actually put this together without it first.  Fortunately, I was using JB Weld and it was maybe a minute before I noticed, so it was not a problem.  If I had left it to sit, though, I would have been one sad panda.

Note:  The rings are just hanging freely on the assembly at this point.  Once the legs are in place I will glue them so the pistons connect to the legs in a reasonable arrangement.


And there is the whole assembly with a level on top of it for verification purposes.  It actually turned out alright despite my wonky table.  

The armor plates here are either dry fitted or held on with white poster tac.  

And that is all for today.  Tune in next time for the start of:  The Upper Torso!!









No comments:

Post a Comment